Sustainability continues to grow in importance for our customers, our investors, and the communities in which we work and live. And the construction sector has an enormous role to play in providing more energy efficient buildings which minimise impact on the environment at every stage.
Offsite manufacturing is transforming UK construction by using factory processes to reduce material waste, vehicle movements, congestion, and carbon emissions in the production of buildings and homes which require less energy for heating and cooling.
We are accredited to ISO14001:2015 for Environmental Management, which gives our customers and stakeholders further reassurance that our environmental management system meets international, industry-specific standards.
Our offsite factories already generate zero waste to landfill, but we will continue to innovate in product development, manufacturing processes and across the business to take our ESG commitments to the next level.
How we Achieve Zero Waste to Landfill
Reducing the impact of construction on the environment is another reason to choose an offsite solution for your next building project. Working with our waste management partners, we are very proud to have achieved zero waste to landfill.
So how do we recycle our waste?
- Wood is collected, shredded and used for biomass fuel at a local power station
- Plasterboard offcuts are sent to a plasterboard recycling specialist to be turned back into plasterboard
- Cardboard is pulped for paper manufacture
- Polythene is washed and processed into pellets which can be turned into a variety of products including polythene
- Food waste is taken to an anaerobic digestion facility where the gases are extracted to generate electricity and any remaining food is used on agricultural land for the growing of arable products such as wheat and oil seed rape.
- Any general waste that cannot be recycled is used for Refuse Derived Fuel which means it is incinerated for electricity generation.
In 2021, the Premier Group acquired NetZero Buildings. This consolidation creates one of the strongest groups in the fast-growing offsite sector. NetZero Buildings specialises in the design, manufacture and delivery of some of the UK’s most energy-efficient school buildings. It is an award-winning offsite manufacturer and leasing specialist and is accredited on the multi-billion pound Department for Education MMC1 framework.
The NetZero team brings tremendous expertise in sustainable building solutions which have supercharged Premier's strategy to become a market leader in the delivery of low carbon buildings to the benefit customers and the communities in which we live and work.
As part of our sustainability commitments, Premier is now a member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) – the international professional body for sustainability.
This initiative will give us access to invaluable resources and knowledge to help us further improve our environmental performance, upskill our teams in sustainability responsibilities, and gain recognition for our achievements to date.