Job Title: Estimator
Department: Permanent Division
Reports To: Estimating Manager
- To provide accurate Tenders/Quotations from client’s enquiries.
- Provide clients with early cost plan/budget advise
Experience, Qualifications & Training:
- HNC/HND or Degree Level in Construction preferred
- Highly numerate with a good understanding of current construction rates
- A strong capability in the use of Microsoft Office suite of applications which includes Word, Excel and Estimating Software Packages
- Having knowledge of the key terms of JCT D&B and NEC3 forms or contract would be advantageous.
- The successful candidate would preferably have a minimum 5 years’ experience in an equal / similar role, from within a Design and Build, Main Contracting/ Modular background.
- Ability to work on projects from early stages through from PCSA to full contract award working closely with both internal and external team members, clients and clients’ representatives
- Accurate calculation of quantities and prices where required
- Direct liaison with both clients, sub-contractors and suppliers
- Preparation of Detailed Contractors Proposals in accordance with internal designs, client information and employers’ requirements
- Work closely and alongside the pre-construction team to develop logistics proposals
- Ability to work to tight deadlines including managing multiple projects at any one time
- Be commercially astute and recognise limitations of the scope to ensure qualifications are aligned, risk management of projects are suitably costs and or qualified
- Close interface with sales team personnel to ensure clients expectations are met
- Create enquiry packages including detailed scope of works and attendances to meet the clients brief, issue and engage with supply chain and manage the prompt return of information.
- Prepare tender evaluation schedules of subcontract tender returns, to table at settlement meetings to ensure team fully understand risk and opportunity of packages
- Able to read and understand construction drawings, schedules, room data sheets, NBS documents and carry out detailed measurement and take off from tender information
- Understand and apply mark-up / margin
- Prepare tender return documentation including CSA, prelims breakdowns, margin analysis and VE schedules
- Assist to develop and evolve supply chain to serve the different market sectors
- Maintain accurate records and electronic data
- Have excellent organisational and time management skills. Be able to manage multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines without compromising the accuracy or quality of the estimate.
- A knowledge of modular construction would be useful but is not essential as training will be provided.